I have something to show you…but before I do, let me tell you a story. A story about a pattern. A pattern that literally drove me to the point where I was mumbling to myself, doubting my knitterly skills, and swearing that I would only make socks from now on…
This pattern is actually a really nice pattern – or it would be if the correct version was published in Interweave Knits…or on their errata site. Yes, that’s right – even the correction was wrong. So let’s recap – first I made the wrong size, and had to rip the whole thing back…then I restarted, and when I got to the lace shoulders, I did the back left and right at least 3 times before I got it right. I had moral support, and the correct pattern, from Pixie (who apparently is following the same path I did in making a larger size first!). I finally figured out the pattern and clipped along finishing all the shoulders. I can’t even begin to tell you how happy I was knitting the last stitch…it was a perfect moment.
So today, after work and physical therapy on my knee, I rushed home – I couldn’t wait to work on it. A three needle bindoff on the shoulders, weave in some ends, and it would be done. It has been a while since I’ve finished something more than socks and I was excited. I had never done the three needle bindoff – but it went fine, and looked great. Excited I tried it on…and in the interest of preserving any level of dignity (or decency!) I’ll show you the back – you can figure out how the front looked…
I was floored – what the hell! I was trying to figure out how to fix it – maybe I’d try to weave the neckline a little bit. I was looking down at it when I saw decreases down the front – I stood there thinking “that looks so weird – why would anyone write a pattern where the dereases are in the front?”. Hmmm…that’s so weird. Oh. I got it – GRRRR! I bound off the shoulders the wrong way…instead of front to back, I did side to side.
One hour and one foot-stamping-cursing-want-to-cry tantrum later….a little better….
Pattern: Lutea Lace-Shoulder Shell, Interweave Knits Summer 07
Yarn: Lion Brand CottonEase
Started: June 1, 2007
Finished: June 18, 2007 (probably would have been done at least a week ago had I not had to rip it all out and start again!)
I like it! It fits well, and is very comfy. I would recommend it – but if you are going to make it, the right lace pattern is:
Row 1: K2 , *yo, k1, yo, k3. Rep from *, ending row with k2 instead of k3.
Note that # of sts is increased after this row.
Rows 2 & 4: P.
Row 3: K2tog, *k3, k3tog. Rep from *, ending row with k2tog instead of k3tog. This row restores original # of sts.
Row 1: K2, *yo, k1, yo, k3; rep from * ending k2.
Rows 2 & 4: P.
Row 3: Ssk, *k3, sssk; rep from * ending ssk
This is the first thing I’ve made with CottonEase. I like it – and yet I think this top would have been completely different in a 100% cotton, or a cotton/silk blend. But this is soft and light and I think I’ll like wearing it all summer.